Jobs and apprenticeships at Château du Tertre
Surrounded by unspoilt French countryside and the River Varrene, this is the perfect spot to explore Northern France.
Nestled in the heart of the rural Pays de Loire region, Château du Tertre is PGL's specialist French language centre with a difference. Whilst at work and on your days off you have the best of both worlds - experiencing French heritage and culture on a daily basis alongside throwing yourself into PGL's more traditional activities like abseiling and raft building.
The perfect place for perfecting your French language skills and for your much deserved days off you are only 2 hours from Paris sipping coffee in a Parisian café or relaxing on the beach in the sun.
Great for: Explore Normandy and Brittany including the D-Day beaches and Mont St Michel, developing your language skills, pursuing adventurous activities such as canoeing and climbing, joining in with local cultural and musical festivals (especially during the summer months) and Enjoying France! Due to the centre’s location you can be in Paris, at the beach or at well known tourist attraction in under two hours
Season: February - October
Number of guests: 250 (8-18 years old, Schools and Families)
Number of staff: 30
Accommodation style: The majority of staff accommodation is in twin rooms within the Château with shared shower and bathroom facilities.
Staff facilities at Château du Tertre include:
- On-site bar with games
- Wi-Fi available for staff in communal areas
- Various sports facilities – football pitch, basketball courts (indoor and outdoor), volleyball court and boules court
- Non-smoking and smoking staff areas
- Staff room with TV, fridge, tea and coffee making facilities
- Laundry facilities
- Activity bases set in 36 acres of wooded grounds, bordered by the Varenne river
- Challenge course
- Initiative exercises
- Low ropes course
- Open canoeing
- Raft building
- Team games
- Team challenge programme
- Zip wire
Off site activities:
- Bayeux Tapestry
- D-Day Landing Beaches
- Mont St Michel Abbey
- Roman Remains
- Chateau de Caen
- St Malo
- Local markets
Located in the heart of the rural Pays de Loire region, Château du Tertre is just outside the pretty village of Ambrières-les-Vallées. There is plenty of different ways to enjoy France on your days off as the centre is only 15 minutes drive to the country town of Mayenne, 45 minutes to historic Fougères or to Laval, main town of the Mayenne region, with main-line train station on the Brittany/ Normandy borders. Throughout the summer months you can also enjoy using the public outdoor swimming pool, horse riding and mini-golf in Ambrières. For the more energetic you can hire equipment or have sailing or windsurfing lessons.
You might already know that the Château was built in the 19th century but it has many more secrets to uncover.
- Château du Tertre has a magic tree - don't forget to ask about it when you arrive on centre!
- The beautiful Varenne river runs past the centre grounds
- The Château was occupied by the Germans during the second world war
- Château du Tertre is a haven for wildlife with crows, bunny rabbits and red squirrels
- There is even a bouncy castle
Key PGL Facts
Need more convincing to apply? Surely not, but if so – here are a few ‘must know’ key facts:
- we employ over 3,000 people every year
- over 400,000 guests visit a PGL centre every year
- we are old! We have been providing activity holidays since 1957 (almost 60 years)
- we have the most competitive staff package
- we are the employer of choice within the outdoor activity industry!