for PGL Activity Instructors
Activity Instructor Training
Everyone who joins PGL in a guest facing role will complete a week long residential training course at a centre in the UK.
The training course will give you the foundation knowledge, skills and experience you will need to be able to do your job. During the course you will receive training in the following areas:
- Sector, company and role specific induction
- Planning, facilitation and reviewing skills
- Customer service
- Safety management
- First Aid
- Child protection and safeguarding
The course is delivered in a practical and engaging way by our experienced team of Tutors who will mentor you throughout the course. Any learning difficulties or special requirements can be supported – just make sure you disclose this information to us.
Further information and a more detailed syllabus will be sent to you before the start of the course.
What we expect from you:
- Full attendance and input on all sessions during the course
- To work and behave in a way that displays PGL’s vision and values
- To provide evidence of all qualifications and the right to work in the United Kingdom
- To follow all rules and guidelines
Training Course FAQs
- Original certificates for National Governing Body qualifications. Including: First Aid certificates.
- Warm clothes, waterproofs (activity sessions are outdoors in all weathers). Please remember that you will be training in view of PGL guests, and as such clothing should be appropriate and free from offensive slogans/pictures
- Enough personal toiletries for a few weeks
- Money - some venues do not provide easy access to a bank or cash machine
- Pen & paper for taking notes
- Your original Overseas Police check if you have one
- Right to work ID
Please arrive during the times detailed on your course information sheet, there will be a driver available to collect you from local bus/train stations.
Please ensure you call the Recruitment Team to confirm your arrival prior to the course start date. If anything changes on the day of travel please call the Training Centre directly.
Unfortunately not, as our centres are full with PGL guests we cannot accommodate anyone the evening before the course is due to start. Most centres have B&B accommodation locally that you may wish to look into.
You must call the Recruitment Team on 0333 3212 123 as soon as possible. If you arrive to the course without the correct ID you will be asked to leave centre.
Generally you will be accommodated indoors in same sex dormitories or rooms, bedding will be provided for you. On occasion you may be required to move rooms during the course; this is entirely dependent on guest bookings.
Talk to your Team Leader, or the Course Director, they will be able to discuss any concerns you may have, offer advice and feedback on your progress to date. If after this you are still uncertain we will be happy to discuss any other options that are then available to you.
The training centre and the centre to which you have been appointed may be the same; In this case no transfer will be necessary. If you are travelling to a different centre PGL will arrange it for you. This may be on public transport; we would ask that you consider this while packing as you may also be issued your uniform prior to leaving your training venue.
Please note that we do not cover any travel costs to the training centre, or transfer travel costs if you wish to use your own transport. If your contract starts later in the season you will be expected to arrange your travel home after the training period.
Call the Recruitment Team on 0333 321 2123 and we will be able to help with any further queries.
Key PGL Facts
Need more convincing to apply? Surely not, but if so – here are a few ‘must know’ key facts:
- we employ over 3,000 people every year
- over 400,000 guests visit a PGL centre every year
- we are experienced! We have been providing activity holidays since 1957, thats 60 years!
- we have the most competitive staff package
- we are the employer of choice within the outdoor activity industry!